Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The 800 Pound Gorilla


Yesterday I was in Dallas, Texas, and I had the privilege of touring some sites with Tom, the real estate broker for the 800lb gorilla of retailers.  I was amazed at how he viewed sites in a completely different way than I was accustomed to.  Let me just say that this guy is a stud; he has done over 300 stores for this retailer in Texas alone!  I would have paid some serious cash just to be able to get the schooling that I did yesterday, but thankfully he is a friend and wants our company, and me for that matter, to succeed going forward.  

Tom's just an ordinary guy.  He's a Texan to the core.  He works hard each and every day.  You see, when you're working with a client like he has, the ups & downs go with the territory.  I can't even imagine how much time it takes just to get the deals to go to contract, let alone the ones you work on forever that fall out of bed.  Working through them is hard enough, but these aren't deals that just happen overnight.  He has way more patience than I do that's for sure.  All that being said, the one thing that stands out more than anything is Tom's humbleness.  Even having done 300 stores for this 800lb gorilla, he remains humble to the core.  I never once heard, "yeah, I did this or I did that," in a prideful way.

At our company, humility is one of our three core values.  I constantly have to ask myself, "do I live that out on a daily basis, or do I let my ego set in and take control?"  The minute I do, everything else becomes futile.  I constantly need to work on being humble.  In the commercial real estate world, humility seems like a four letter word. 

I just appreciated the time I had with Tom, and how, unknowingly to him, he taught me more than he'll ever know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment